The LA County Arts Education Profile survey was administered to all 2,277 public schools in LA County to learn about the quantity, quality and equity of arts education. We found that nearly every school offers at least some arts instruction, and most schools offer at least two disciplines. At the same time, we found troubling inequities that reflect disparities in the wider society.
Choose from the options below for more information.
The Arts Ed Profile online tool presents data about arts education provided in LA County public schools and districts. You can look up any school or district in LA County. Data is from responses to the Arts Ed Profile survey and from the California Department of Education. If no data is listed for your school, please see the "How to Update My School's Data" section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
How was the data collected?
Information was collected through online questionnaires administered to all 2,200+ schools in LA County. Over 900 schools completed at least part of the questionnaire. Principals were asked to provide information about their school’s arts instruction, arts teachers, community arts partners and other school-level details, while superintendents were asked to report on whether there is a dedicated staff person who coordinates arts programming, strategies for building sequential arts instruction and other district-level factors.
What kinds of questions were asked?
Please see our school and district questionnaires for download below:
What are the sources of data for this project?
This project includes data primarily from the 2016-17 school year (a small number of districts report on 2015-16 or 2014-15), collected through an online survey conducted by the Arts Ed Collective and Harder+Company Community Research. This project also utilizes 2014-15, 2015-16 and 2016-17 data from the California Department of Education.
How is this different from the CA Arts Education Data Project?
The Arts Education Data Project was initiated by Create CA, the California Department of Education and the National Arts Education Data Project to analyze and report school-level data on arts education courses at middle and high schools across the state. Building upon this foundational work, the Arts Ed Profile fills in the gaps by combining K-12 California Department of Education data with information about dance, music, theatre, visual and media arts taught across all grades. It also collects information about arts integration as well as contributions from teaching artists and other community arts partners.
How to Update My School's Data
If your school does not show complete data or if the data needs to be updated, an online survey may be completed and submitted. The LA County Arts Ed Collective plans to update data displayed in the online tool on an annual basis.
Please contact Matt Agustin (email@example.com) for more information.
The Arts Ed Profile is a research project designed to measure the quality, quantity and equity of arts education in public schools across LA County. The goals of this project are to
- Provide meaningful data to school districts that they can use to support their arts education strategic planning process
- Make data about the quantity, quality and equity of arts education at individual schools and districts easily accessible to parents, teachers, administrators and arts education advocates
- Identify issues or factors on the County level that are associated with the quantity, quality and equity of arts education provided in schools
Between 2015 and 2017, the Arts Ed Collective surveyed every public school and district in LA County. The Arts Ed Collective used this data to create the following:
- Individualized District Profiles for school district teams to review as part of the arts education strategic planning resources provided by the Arts Ed Collective
- An online tool where anyone can explore arts education facts about a school, a district or LA County as a whole
- A countywide report that provides a snapshot of the status of arts education across all 81 districts and four charter school networks in LA County and identifies issues related to quantity, quality and equity
A raw dataset of arts education in LA County that includes our survey data and data from the CA Department of Education is also available