The Arts Ed Collective offers coaching support for school districts interested in creating or updating strategic arts plans at no cost to the district. Based on the needs of a district, our experts provide customized coaching services to support the long-term implementation of arts education. If a district does not have a strategic plan for arts education, the current district plan is outdated or it has been accomplished, a coach will guide the district team through the strategic planning process to create a new plan that builds upon past work and reflects the current landscape. If a school district seeks to update an existing arts education plan, a coach will work with the district team to revise components of the existing plan and identify new actions to expand arts instruction. Plans lay out strategic directions for a five-year period.
To date, 74 Los Angeles County school districts have completed at least one strategic plan with an Arts Ed Collective coach. You can find examples of completed plans in the the School District Directory.
Strategic Planning Process
The planning process runs from fall through spring, beginning with data collection to help identify the current status of arts education, as well as opportunities for growth at both the school and district levels.
Coaches work with planning teams to:
- Explore excellence in arts education
- Collect school and district data
- Identify strengths and gaps in current instruction
- Articulate your vision
- Determine strategic directions to achieve your vision
- Develop a budgeted and calendared implementation plan
Learn more about the planning process in the Strategic Arts Education Planning Guide- 4th Edition published in 2022 by Create CA and the Los Angeles Department of Arts and Culture.
School District Commitment
- Identify potential committee members from the district and local community to participate in the strategic planning process
- Coordinate location, hospitality, and attendance for planning meetings
- Appoint co-chairs to spearhead the arts committee and attend a two-day training in the fall
- Facilitate all school sites’ participation in the data collection process
- Present a policy and budgeted plan to the school board for adoption
- Guide the implementation of the plan
"The coaching support from the Arts Ed Collective enabled our district to convene key stakeholders from our community to revise our Strategic Plan for Arts Education. The planning process helped us identify where we are with arts education and where we want to go to ensure all students in our district develop the creative and critical thinking skills to be successful, collaborative problem solving citizens in today’s world and the future. Our new strategic plan is our living guide and road map to improving educational opportunities in the arts for all of our students and has become a key tool in attracting new partners in our efforts to achieve this goal."
—Director, Mountain View School District
If you have questions, contact the Arts Ed Collective, email@example.com.